This post may contain affiliate links. They don’t cost you anything, but earn me a small commission. Thank you for supporting Becoming Bailey!
I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I’m so glad to be back into the routine of blogging. It was nice to not have to stress about my blog for a bit and just enjoy time away from social media. I’ll share stories and photos from our holidays soon, but for now I wanted to share my New Years’ Resolutions and Bible Verse for 2017. But first, I wanted to look back at my 2016 Resolutions!
2. Pass my PHR certification. Unfortunately, I wasn’t eligible to sit for the PHR so I decided to study for the SHRM-CP. And unfortunately, I didn’t pass the SHRM-CP class :/
one new country and 2-3 new states. Jamaica was amazing, but we didn’t really get to travel anywhere else which was a little disappointing.
4. Make big strides in my blog. I redesigned the blog a few days before the wedding, and then later switched to WordPress in the fall. I also started writing sponsored posts and made a nice chunk of money from that. 5. Complete a 5k. I did walk a 5k, but not an “official” race. 6. Read forty-five books. Yup! I far exceeded this goal, by reading 80 books in 2016! 7. Trust in the Lord with all my heart (based on Proverbs 3:5-6). I would say I did a fair job at trusting God, even though it was hard with lots of marriage, financial, job, and identity struggles this year.
1. Visit 3 new states or 1 new country. Other than Jamaica, we didn’t really travel too far from home in 2016. Since we have the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass until the end of 2017, we want to take 2 or 3 vacations to maximize use of the pass. However, we’re also open to taking 1 exotic vacation instead. It just depends on how many hotel points I have between now and then. Of course, this is all depending on the Army 😉 Andy said that if something happens and he can’t go on vacation with me, he wants me to switch the pass to my mom or a sister’s name and go on vacation with them. How sweet!
2. Read 100 books. I read 80 books in 2016, so I wanted to up this to 100 for 2017! It averages out to almost 2 per week. For the record, I do count audiobooks so when I’m driving I am also reading 🙂
3. Pay of $3,500 in debt (aka my Discover card). We really wanted to have at least my credit card paid off by the end of 2016, but that didn’t happen. Our goal for 2017 is to pay off the Discover card and move onto paying something else off, like my student loans. Thanks to the payment schedule, the personal loan ends in February 2018 without having to snowball it!
4. Learn a new hobby or skill. I’m still not sure what this will be yet. Andy and I have tossed around the idea of buying ballroom dancing lessons off Groupon so that’s something we may do, if his work schedule is predictable-ish enough to attend lessons together. I’m also tossing around the idea of maybe taking a second MyCAA course or taking a language course or something. Nothing’s set in stone yet, but I do want to learn something new in 2017!
5. Blog goals– grow my blog. I know this goal is a little generic, but in full disclosure, I haven’t decided exactly what my blog goals will be for the year! I’m going to go through Elite Blog Academy so I’m excited about that, but otherwise I’m not sure what else my goals will be. I’m going to go through the Epic Blog planner and set my goals for the blog.
And like I did last year, this year I wanted to pick a Bible verse for the year. I ended up settling on this verse quickly. Considering what Andy and I have planned for 2017, but what the Army (and ultimately, God) will be throwing our way, I thought this verse was only fitting.
We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.
-Proverbs 16:9 (NLT)
What are your New Year’s Resolutions?