This post may contain affiliate links. They don’t cost you anything, but earn me a small commission. Thank you for supporting Becoming Bailey!
I cannot believe it is already October!!!! Where did the year go?! Fall is in full swing here in north Iowa. It’s getting a little too cold for me, but I’ll make it through! 😉 I’m excited for this month because I have some fun stuff in store! Midterms at my college are in the middle of the month, which means I’ll be halfway through my first 2 courses since returning to college as a student. Towards the end of the month, I’m heading to Texas for FinCon and Mil-Blogging Conference! I’m super excited for both, for the connections I’ll make with other bloggers as well as meeting blog friends in real life! Andy’s birthday is also at the end of this month– in fact, I’ll be flying back from Texas on his birthday! It’s ironic that his birthday will be the first birthday we’ve spent apart-ish (I get home late that evening!) because I always assumed it would be my birthday as the first one apart due to military obligations. And, let’s not forget Halloween!!! I bought Lily a pumpkin sweater that says “Lil Pumpkin Head” which I think is fitting as I call Lily “Lil” all the time! Anyway, let’s move on to my goals before I start rambling!
1. Read 4 books. Ha. Ha, Ha. Not even close!
2. Do at least 2 e-courses. I did one, so I halfway completed this.
3. Travel home to see my family! I went home in the middle of the month and it was the best. trip. ever. I’ll share more about it soon, but the 21 hours I spent traveling just to spend 30 hours at home was so worth it.
4. Exercise for 20-30 minutes 5x a week. Well I started out strong at the beginning of the month, but didn’t do so hot towards the end. Honestly, I forgot to submit my progress report for the Wellness Challenge at work, which meant I was out of the running for 2 free movie tickets so I was no longer motivated. Also, Andy has been doing PT with his future soldiers at work, and I didn’t realize how much I needed a workout buddy until it was up to me to go by myself again.
5. Replenish our emergency fund. Yes! I finished this on the last day of the month (thanks to our odd pay schedule) but it was such a relief to have our emergency fund funded again. 6. Stay caught up in all of my class assignments. I’m not sure I can count this as complete, since it will be ongoing through the end of the semester (and the next 4-ish years until I finish my degree!) but I did do great at staying caught up on homework…. even if I did do my Accounting exam a few hours before it was due 😉
3.5 of 6… not bad, I suppose!
1. Read 2 books. Notice I have cut this goal way down! Honestly, reading isn’t as much of a priority for me right now, and that’s okay! In December, I have about a 4.5 week break in between the fall and spring semesters where I still will be working full-time, but won’t be taking classes, and I plan to binge read my little heart out then 🙂
2. Prep for FinCon and Mil-Blogging Conference. I completely owe all of the below list to Emilie‘s suggestions. She went to FinCon last year and gave me great tips on how I should prepare. (Because honestly, all I had in mind before we talked was 1: buy business cards and 2: show up.) So, here are the steps I need to take to fully prep for these conferences.
a. Do Units 1 and 2 of EBA.
b. Read blogs of speakers at both conferences.
c. Prepare my “elevator speech.”
d. Make tentative schedule of sessions I’d like to sit in on.
e. Have a great time in Texas! 🙂
f. Bonus points: Make a side trip to Magnolia Market in Waco. Out of the hundreds of FinCon attendees, someone else has to be a huge Fixer Upper fan like me, right?!
3. Clean and spray-paint my essential oil cabinet. I found a nice bathroom-like cabinet for a steal of a deal at the Habitat ReStore, so I snagged it. It needs a good clean and some TLC, but I can’t wait to finally have a nice home for my oils!
4. Take Lily to her obedience classes. After the recent “Lily-ran-after-a-squirrel-and-yanked-me-of-the-porch-and-I-got-hurt” incident, we decided it was finally time to make dog obedience school a priority. Last week was our first week of classes. Unfortunately for us, Lily almost got us kicked out of class by upsetting a gigantic bulldog and glaring at him all night (which caused him to lunge towards her), which was incredibly embarrassing. She proved in the class that she can be a good dog when she wants to, but that she is also incredibly stubborn. Hopefully by the end of the 6 weeks, she will be better behaved.
So it seems like I don’t have a lot of goals for October, but I really want to focus on the blogging conferences to get the most out of it that I possibly can.
How were your September goals?
What are your October goals?